Rescued from canyon

Canyon rescue: Emergency services remove a woman from the Grand Canyon at Blackheath on Sunday. Photo: Top Notch Video

Canyon rescue: Emergency services remove a woman from the Grand Canyon at Blackheath on Sunday. Photo: Top Notch Video

Emergency services were kept busy with rescues in the Blue Mountains over the weekend.

About 3.30pm on Sunday, a group was abseiling the Grand Canyon, Neates Glen walking trail at Blackheath, when a 25-year-old woman from Earlwood had appeared to fall at least five metres to the canyon floor, landing on her back on the rocks.

Blue Mountains Detective Chief Inspector Dietmar Almer said the woman was secured into a stretcher and lifted out of the canyon back to the trail, where she was carried to a waiting ambulance helicopter and airlifted to Westmead Hospital for treatment.

On Monday, the woman had scans at the hospital with no visible injuries and was walking unaided. 

Earlier on Sunday about 12.30pm, Police Rescue officers as well as ambulance special operations and Rural Fire Service members rescued a woman who slipped over and injured her ankle at the bottom of Minne-Ha-Ha Falls in north Katoomba.

A rescue via helicopter was attempted, but due to the high winds it was too dangerous.

As a result, the woman was carried out along the access track back to the carpark to a road ambulance and conveyed to hospital.

It followed a rescue on Friday morning (February 10) from a fire trail near Rickard Rd in Warrimoo where a trail bike rider had crashed his bike on an unmaintained trail.

The bike rider was carried out by stretcher to a waiting ambulance and conveyed to Nepean Hospital with a suspected leg fracture.

Blackheath fire

Police and fire brigades were called to a fire at a restaurant on Govetts Leap Rd, Blackheath on February 8 about 9.40pm.

“Police observed smoke coming from the second floor windows.

“The fire crews put a ladder up to the top floor to break a window, proceeding to spray water through the opening,” Inspector Almer said. 

The tenant, a 33-year-old man was treated for shock but was not injured during the fire, which caused extensive damage to the upper floor of the restaurant.

“The fire brigade indicated to police the cause is thought to be an iron that was left on,” Inspector Almer said.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop