A 45-year-old Mt Riverview man barricaded himself inside his home and threatened to shoot police with a bow and arrow if they stepped inside on Monday afternoon at about 2.15pm.
Eleven hours later the Tactical Operations Unit forced their way into the house in Bunbinla Avenue, and after a struggle with the occupant, took him into custody.
The man was treated on Tuesday morning at Nepean Hospital’s mental health facility and was later released into the custody of Blue Mountains police officers and taken to be charged at Penrith police station.
Blue Mountains Crime Manager, Detective Chief Inspector Dietmar Almer, said police were called to attend because of concerns over the man’s welfare. When police were threatened with the bow and arrow they “tactically retreated”.
“Those things can travel a fair distance and can be quite lethal,” he said.
Bunbinla Avenue was in lockdown until about 1.30am Tuesday. Police negotiators, ambulance and the Public Order and Riot Squad were also on the scene, as well as at least 10 Mountains officers, including detectives and Blue Mountains Commander, Supt David Jones.
Mt Riverview Public School principal Richard Giles said on Monday afternoon: “We had parents ringing up saying they couldn’t get out of their street because it had been locked down. Police asked us to hang on to those kids … but parents organised for them to go to friends or other family.”
Shortly after 10.30pm on Friday August 3, police were called to Lawson Bowling club after reports a 40-year-old Lawson man had sustained head injuries after being assaulted by a 29-year-old Bullaburra man in the club’s carpark.
The 29-year-old had fled the scene before police arrived, but was allegedly found about 1am at a Katoomba Hotel. He had been asked to leave because he was intoxicated. Police escorted him out of the premises and charged him with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and failing to leave a premises. He will appear in Katoomba Court on September 10.
At 8.30am on Saturday August 4, police went to Katoomba train station after reports a 41-year-old Newcastle man had assaulted a 53-year-old man from Blackheath man while travelling on an eastbound train. The victim did not want to make a statement, but police removed the offender and issued him with a rail infringement notice for behaving in offensive manner.
Tagged and charged
A man will appear in Katoomba Court on August 17 after being found allegedly painting graffiti near Lurline Street about 4.30am on Saturday August 4. Police say the man was found with numerous spray cans, smelt strongly of paint and fresh graffiti tags were found nearby.