Kane Dallow awaiting sentence for dishonesty charge

A con man moved to Tasmania to avoid facing outstanding charges and possible jail time in South Australia, a court has heard.

Kane Scott Dallow was due to be sentenced on Monday for dishonestly acquiring a financial advantage from a woman he befriended at Agfest in 2018.

Prosecutor Felicity Radin told the court there were two outstanding warrants in South Australia for Dallow after he twice failed to appear there last year.

Ms Radin said Dallow's most recent charge interstate was virtually identical to the offending in Tasmania.

It was alleged the 38-year-old man befriended a woman in South Australia and convinced her to give him $5000 to be part of his video business.

The court heard the woman gave him the money with the hope of learning new skills and being a part-owner.

About a year later, after Dallow moved to Northern Tasmania, he deceived a Sisters Beach woman into giving him $5000 for sponsorship, purporting to be making a television program for Channel 7.

The woman thought she was depositing the money into a Channel 7 account, but the money went into Dallow's personal account.

The victim was given a receipt allegedly from Channel 7 but became suspicious and contacted the police.

An examination of Dallow's laptop showed email addresses purporting to belong to network employees were logged in and out from his computer.

Kane Dallow, formerly known as Kane Hicks, leaving the Launceston Magistrates Court in May.

Kane Dallow, formerly known as Kane Hicks, leaving the Launceston Magistrates Court in May.

The woman wasn't Dallow's first victim, with the convicted criminal jailed when he lived in South Australia for dishonesty charges committed under his former name Kane Hicks.

Ms Radin said there was a pattern of dishonesty offending by Dallow in South Australia, Victoria and Tasmania.

After serving an eight-month jail sentence in South Australia, Dallow was extradited to face an outstanding charge in Victoria.

The court was told he was given a suspended sentence in Victoria.

Ms Cure said she was going to give Dallow a suspended sentence, but he'd already been given that opportunity. She told Dallow he must get legal representation because he was at risk of going to jail.

Ms Radin said Dallow should be remanded while he sought legal representation because he was a flight risk after fleeing South Australia with outstanding matters.

Dallow, of South Launceston, told the court he was starting a new life in Tasmania with his husband.

In a letter of mitigation Dallow said his parents split up when he was six and he had mental health issues, but Ms Cure did not tender the document because he gave it to the court while unrepresented and she said clearly some of it wasn't true.

He was bailed to reappear on July 9.