Blue Mountains residents are being urged to join their local NSW Rural Fire Service (RFS) volunteer firefighters to prepare for the bushfire season this Get Ready Weekend, September 19-20.
NSW RFS Acting District Manager, Inspector Rob Vinzenz said all residents in the Blue Mountains need to be prepared as getting ready for bushfire is as important as ever.
"Last year's catastrophic bush fire season saw more than 11,000 fires burning through 5.5 million hectares across the state, with nearly 2,500 homes and 26 lives lost," said Inspector Vinzenz.
"Although we have had some welcome rain and the drought is not as widespread coming into this season, there is potential for grass fires in particular, and we all need to be well prepared.
"NSW RFS members have been busy preparing by undertaking hazard reduction burns where possible, maintaining firefighting equipment and undergoing additional training.
"Get Ready Weekend is a chance for Blue Mountains residents to do their bit to prepare and protect their family and properties in the event of a fire."
Due to COVID-19 some brigades have chosen to move their event online - via conference calls and social media. Face to face events are still being held. These events will follow strict NSW Health guidelines, including a maximum of 20 people at a time. All events for Get Ready Weekend - those online and face to face - can be found on the Get Ready Weekend page on www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/getready.
Inspector Vinzenz added: "Preparing for bushfires is easier than you may think. Have a five-minute conversation and ask yourself - 'how fireproof is your plan? When will you go, what will you take and where will you go?' Get Ready Weekend on September 19 and 20 is the ideal opportunity to take that action."
Events in Blue Mountains:
- Face to Face at Faulconbridge Station. Visit the Facebook page to ask your questions ahead of Saturday. www.facebook.com/FaulconbridgeRuralFireBrigade. Faulconbridge Rural Fire Brigade, 25 Railway Pde, Faulconbridge Saturday, September 19, 9am-3pm
- Face to face at Mt Riverview brigade station as well as East Blaxland shops (dentist carpark). www.facebook.com/MtRivBrigade. Mt Riverview RFB, 178 Rusden Rd, Mt Riverview, Saturday, September 19, 9am-1pm.
- There will be a static display at Winmalee Village and various street meetings will be held. See www.facebook.com/WinmaleeRuralFireBrigade. Winmalee RFB 502A Hawkesbury Rd, Winmalee Saturday, September 19, 9am-3pm.
- Come down to the Medlow Bath station to meet the crew, have a look at the trucks and equipment. See www.facebook.com/MedlowBathRFS. Medlow Bath RFB Station, 8 Railway Pde, Medlow Bath, Saturday, September 19, 9.30am-3pm.
- The crew from Blaxland Brigade will be on hand to answer questions and share information. See www.facebook.com/Blaxland-Rural-Fire-Brigade. Blaxland RFB 24 Attunga Rd, Blaxland, Saturday, September 19, 10am-2pm.
- Hazelbrook brigade will be having face to face sessions, please register via http://u.hazelbrookrfs.com.au/2020. For further details visit: www.facebook.com/hazelbrookrfs. Hazelbrook RFB Station, cnr Terrace Falls Rd and Bath Rd, Hazelbrook, Saturday, September 19, 10am-2pm.
- Online Zoom session - details on Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/LindenRuralFireBrigade. Linden RFB Station, 43 Burke Rd, Linden, Saturday, September 19 from 10am-3pm.
- Come chat with Warrimoo brigade about the really simple things you can do to protect your family and home this bushfire season. See www.facebook.com/WarrimooBushfireBrigade, Warrimoo RFB Station, 3 Eley Hawkins Drive, Warrimoo, Saturday, September 19 from 10am-3pm.
- Wentworth Falls brigade will be posting a series of videos in the lead up to Get Ready Weekend. Contact the brigade to ask questions beforehand. See www.facebook.com/WentworthFallsRuralFireBrigade. Wentworth Falls RFB online meeting, Saturday, September 19 from 10am-2pm.
- Woodford online meeting, more details at:- www.facebook.com/woodfordfire. Woodford RFB online meeting Saturday, September 19 from 10am-2pm.
- Katoomba/Leura brigade will have three of the brigade's most experienced firefighters online to answer your questions on how to best prepare your family and your home for the bushfire season. See www.facebook.com/KatoombaLeuraRuralFireBrigade. Katoomba/Leura RFB online Facebook Live Q&A, Saturday, September 19 at 5pm.
- Megalong Valley Brigade members will be on hand to provide information and advice to you on bushfire preparedness and safety. Megalong Valley RFB Station, 842 Megalong Rd Megalong Valley, Sunday, September 20 from 9am-12pm.
- Face to Face at Bullaburra Station. Come have a chat about what you can do to prepare your home and family. See www.facebook.com/BullaburraRFS. Bullaburra RFB Station 4 Kalinda Rd, Bullaburra, Sunday, September 20 from 10am-2pm.
- Face to face at Lawson Brigade station, 2b Henry St, Lawson, Sunday, September 20 from 12-4pm. More information at www.facebook.com/Lawsonrfs.