Canberra canyonyers spend night at Butterbox Canyon

Emergency services officers stayed overnight with two canyoners from Canberra after they got stranded in Butterbox Canyon, Leura on April 13.

Both aged 18, the two men were canyoning about 11am when they were forced to call for help.

Part of the canyon requires a series of abseils and the doubling of ropes to descend the levels. On one level, the men couldn't pull down the rope and became stuck, unable to proceed in either direction.

The pair activated an EPIRB (emergency position indicating radio beacon) which alerted emergency services.

Police Rescue officers and Ambulance Special Operations Team officers walked into the canyon and located the men in darkness and stayed with them overnight. The men were escorted out of the canyon, uninjured, the following morning.

Child approach

Police have called for witnesses who may have seen a male driver approach a child in Blackheath on Saturday, April 10.

Police said a 12-year-old girl was walking along Hillier Avenue, Blackheath between 12noon and 1pm when a silver car stopped next to her and the male driver asked her if she wanted a lift. The girl declined several times and the man then drove away.

The incident was reported to police on Friday, April 16.

The man is described as Caucasian, male, 40 to 50-years-old, brown short/shaved balding head, no facial hair, and wearing glasses.

Police are seeking witnesses as well as anyone who may have CCTV, phone or dashcam footage, to contact Katoomba Police Station on 4782 8199 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Malicious damage

A Blaxland man was charged with a range of offences following an incident on Saturday, April 17.

Police said the 35-year-old man was at a licensed premises in the Blaxland CBD about 1am when he was asked to leave with other patrons as the venue was closing. They said the man took exception and requested the venue's manager to fight him, while standing in a boxing stance. Staff were able to convince the man to leave, but he returned a short time later and began knocking hard on a closed glass door. The man then allegedly kicked the glass, causing it to splinter.

Police were called and located the man a short distance away where he was arrested. Police said they located a "flick knife" when they searched the man.

He was taken to Springwood Police Station and charged with several offences to appear at Penrith Local Court on April 28.

The offence of failing to quit a licensed premises carries a $550 on-the-spot fine. Possession of a prohibited weapon is a serious offence and carries a maximum penalty of 14 years imprisonment.