Just over 30,000 new COVID-19 cases were recorded on Sunday with almost 2,000 Coronavirus cases in NSW hospital, contributing to concerns about the burden of the virus on the health system.
NSW Health reported 30,062 new cases in the Saturday reporting period, a significant drop from the same reporting period on Friday which measured over 45,000 new cases. Testing numbers have also decreased to 98,986 from 116,915.
NSW Health also sadly reported 16 deaths from the virus.
In NSW hospitals there are 1,927 cases of COVID-19, 151 of those cases are in ICU.
The health system continues to be a concern to many in the industry. The Australian Medical Association (AMA) has warned the national Omicron peak is still weeks away. Association president Omar Khorshid has expressed concern for the healthcare system via Twitter.
"So elective surgery [has] now ceased along [the] east coast...thousands of HCWs (healthcare workers) not at work...more in hospital with COVID than ever before and peak Omicron is weeks away? This is our health system not 'coping'," he said.
He said GPs and private doctors "need help to help the rest of us", and called for restored telehealth access, more rapid antigen tests, and funding to help doctors cope with COVID-19 demand.
In vaccination news, NSW is edging closer to 95 per cent fully vaccinated adults. 93.7 per cent of over 16-year-olds have had their second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. In the 12-15-year-old age group, 78.1 per cent have had both doses of a vaccine.
Here is the breakdown of cases reported to 8pm n Saturday night per Local Health District (LHD).
- 5,077 from South Western Sydney LHD
- 5,077 are from Western Sydney LHD
- 4,442 are from South Eastern Sydney LHD
- 3,184 are from Sydney LHD
- 2,527 are from Hunter New England Health
- 2,505 are from Northern Sydney LHD
- 1,535 are from Nepean Blue Mountains LHD
- 1,386 are from Illawarra Shoalhaven LHD
- 1,121 are from the Central Coast LHD
- 1,027 are from Northern NSW LHD
- 506 are from Murrumbidgee LHD
- 453 are from Mid North Coast LHD
- 412 are from Western NSW
- 30 are from Southern NSW LHD
- 38 are from Far Western LHD
- One is in a correctional setting
- One is in hotel quarantine
- 62 are yet to be assigned to the LHD