Templeman to be fined over Windsor protest

Fines to be issued: Susan Templeman, second from left, and Senator Lee Rhiannon at Monday's Thompson Square rally. Picture: Geoff Jones.

Fines to be issued: Susan Templeman, second from left, and Senator Lee Rhiannon at Monday's Thompson Square rally. Picture: Geoff Jones.

Macquarie MP Susan Templeman will be fined more than $400 by Hawkesbury police following a protest rally at Thompson Square, Windsor.

The office of Ms Templeman, as well as Australian Greens Senator Lee Rhiannon, confirmed they had been contacted by Hawkesbury Local Area Command and would receive infringement notices for disobeying police directions and being a pedestrian that obstructs drivers in relation to the January 8 rally.

Both had linked arms with other protesters in front of access gates to the Thompson Square archaeological dig site to prevent workers gaining access, and had to be physically removed by officers.

A spokesman for Ms Templeman said she had been notified she would be receiving the notices.

“Susan has been notified that she will be receiving two infringement notices in relation to [Monday’s] protest. These notices have not yet been received by her,” the spokesman said.

“Susan will consider her future options in relation to the infringement notices upon receiving them.”

The offence of disobeying police direction carries a fine of $330, while being a pedestrian and obstructing drivers is $73.

Police have confirmed a 59-year-old Windsor man has been issued with a court attendance notice for charges including resisting police following the rally, while a 68-year-old South Windsor man was issued with a court attendance notice for hindering and resisting police. 

Both are due to appear before Windsor Local Court on February 22.  

Chief Inspector Stuart Davis said infringement notices would be issued to five people – three females aged 54, 66, 58 and 75, and a male aged 66 – and police wished to speak to a further three people in relation to the rally.

Police have released a picture of the three people they wish to speak to, and have encouraged them to come forward.

“Police are interested in speaking to three other people in relation to the incident,” Chief Inspector Davis said. “We are inviting them to come forward.”

The rally called for work on the archaeological dig to be halted until after an inquiry into Windsor Bridge has been completed

Urged to come forward: Hawkesbury police have released this image of three people they wish to speak to in relation to the rally at Windsor on Monday.

Urged to come forward: Hawkesbury police have released this image of three people they wish to speak to in relation to the rally at Windsor on Monday.