Skeletal remains found near North Katoomba water catchment

Human skeletal remains were discovered on Monday in bush at North Katoomba.

Blue Mountains Police Detective Inspector Scott McAlpine said employees of the Sydney Water Catchment Authority had found a body near the catchment area.

He said the remains had been there for quite some time, "maybe a year or two."

"We're waiting on forensics to identify the body. It's not being treated as suspicious," Det Insp McAlpine said.

Machete found

Police patrolling Hawkesbury Heights at 3am on March 8, found a 39-year-old Lawson man seated in a vehicle outside houses on Hawkesbury Rd.

He appeared nervous, and said he was waiting for a mate who was getting a lift to work, but no person appeared, Det Insp McAlpine said. His vehicle was searched, and a number of items, including a machete and stanley knife were found, police said.

The man was charged with multiple offences including possession of a knife in a public place and possession of a prohibited substance. He was to appear in Windsor Local Court on March 14.

Trapped for hour

A 26-year-old man from Fairfield was trapped for an hour on the highway at Wentworth Falls on March 16 when he lost control of the hired van he was driving.

Det Insp McAlpine said the man was travelling east when he lost control, veering across lanes and hitting with a rock embankment, then spinning back and resting upon a concrete barrier.

"Emergency service crews worked to free the man before he was transported to Westmead Hospital with possible head and spinal injuries. He has since been cleared of serious injury and released. Further investigations are continuing, however an infringement notice was issued to the driver for negligent driving," he said. 

A 19-year-old passenger was able to free himself.

Car park incident

Two women, understood to be a mother and daughter, were taken to hospital after they were hit by a vehicle in the Bunnings car park at Katoomba on March 14.

According to a Careflight spokesperson, it's understood the mother and daughter were standing together when they were hit by a reversing vehicle.

The 89-year-old woman was assessed as stable with a leg injury before she was transferred to Springwood and flown by NSW Ambulance helicopter to hospital.

The 65-year-old woman was trapped under a vehicle for around 90 minutes, with Police Rescue and NSW Fire and Rescue crews working to free her. She was treated for injuries to the head, legs and arms, and was taken to Westmead Hospital in a serious but stable condition.