In 2017 Cancer Wellness Support moved from its home under the Metropole in Katoomba to new premises at Railway Parade, Leura.
Now the group wants to find out a bit more about their new home, a residence known as Mondeval.
The land was originally part of a land grant to Benjamin Backhouse, a Sydney architect. Mondeval was built in the 1890s by either William Eyre, Samuel Lyons or a builder from Petersham, William Wallace.
It was initially a holiday rental with families travelling from Sydney.
In 1907, it was purchased by a jeweller, Alfred Tillotson Jones, before being sold in 1910 to Adela Taylor, wife of the then Lord Mayor of Sydney.
In 1915, Mr and Mrs Davies bought the house and gave it to the Church of England to provide accommodation and schooling for orphaned and homeless girls.
It was at this time that it became known as 'Quipolli' and it remained as a home for the girls until 1936.
In 1940, Edith Hurlow Jones purchased the building, quickly renamed it 'Chequers' and converted it into flats. Edith, who was the first woman councillor at Katoomba, rented the flats to the girls working in the armoury in Lithgow and to wives of servicemen away during World War Two.
The property sold in 1950 and up until 1971 remained as flats. During the seventies it was reinstated as a single residence, until the 1980s when it became a gallery and residence and renamed 'Mondeval'.
This brief history of Mondeval has been recounted in the hope that it may spark a memory of a family member who may have had a connection with the house.
Anyone with a contribution about the house's history, be it a story, photos or documents, can contact the researchers via email at email@example.com.
Cancer Wellness Support is a non-profit charitable organisation committed to helping cancer clients and their families retain their sense of control and balance through innovative, integrated and holistic therapies and education.